View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaveau View Post
Govert: I tried to get the copper seals for the pipe connections from MB USA from Rusty but had no luck (NLA). I then tried MB Canada and was able to buy 12 seals (they came in packs of 5 and the date on the tag was sept 2002, I'm guessing NOS). If you need some, let me know. I followed procedure 07.210 to change the seals, (I thought the leak was at the pipe connection at the time).

Diesel911: Thank you for the info, Rusty was unable to find any copper seals for the element connection but he did send what he thought may work in a rubber version based on my VIN and pump type.

I did make an appointment to go to the dealer on Monday because from what you describe if I mess up, the pump will have to come out and the car will be disabled. There is a mechanic there who has been working on these cars (W114/115) for decades. He still remembers when my car was brand new and used to come in for service. He has helped me before with little hints and tricks for my car but as always the dealer is expensive.

I will keep you posted.
To change the O-ring yourself would require you to remove the Fuel Injection Pump because it is the only accurate way to scribe a line on it.

The exception might be if there is some sort of tool they can install on the IP that would allow the Element to go back in exactly where it came out. And, if there is one it has not come up on the Forums that I haunt.

Most Mechanics no matter who they work for or their experience are most often parts replacers. (There main expertise is in trouble shooting what is wrong and knowing what to replace or adjust.)
Very few Mechanics are Diesel Mechanics and way fewer of those Mechanics have experience taking Fuel Injection Pumps apart.
Few Mechanics actually rebuild stuff.