View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
I could see the blower fan running but the compressor was not working. I could also hear a relay click on and off. Every now and then it would cycle on but more often not.
Without a wiring diagram, there is no way of knowing what was clicking. Some units start the condenser fan and compressor with the same relay, others use separate relays. If this was indeed the compressor relay, and it ran sometimes there may be a wiring connection problem, a bad contact in the relay, etc. but without testing how would anyone know?

Quote:
A/C guy replaced the contactor and the capacitor but it did not help.
Replacing both at the same time introduces too many variables and prevents you from determining if either or both are defective, but it does run up the bill. You said the compressor ran sometimes, so the contactor and the capacitor may have been OK. How did he determine that these needed to be replaced?

Quote:
He thought it may have been a bad thermostat but sadly, replacing it did not help.
Dude! The condenser fan was running, so it is quite obvious that the thermostat was calling for cooling like it should. The thermostat only signals the unit to RUN or STOP. Why on earth would any "A/C" guy suspect the thermostat?

At this point I would suggest having a serious talk with the "A/C" guy. Ask him how he plans to proceed, and if he is going to keep "throwing parts at it" without any real diagnostic testing, then replace him with a real technician!