View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Not so amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by junqueyardjim View Post
It is strange that if production continued to 1989 that we never hear of a model year past 1985.
From what I have found, 1985 was the last model year. I did find some references to a few cars actually being produced into 1986 in both South Africa and Germany, but only dribs and drabs. I wonder if that might have been some prestige thing for company employees or dealers, "I got one of the last w123s" etc.?

Didn't we establish that w123 were exported as CKD (completely knocked down) kits for assembly in certain overseas markets? Now one thing does occur to me: I would assume the CKD units would have had VINs assigned before shipment, right? So they would show up as part of that model year run... but is that to say they all got assembled the same year? It isn't inconceivable to me that crated CKD cars could have sat around for several years in some far-flung market before getting slapped together.

Anyway, before I turn this into the X-files, we should bear in mind that the reply was probably written by an early 20-something junior correspondence officer or intern in the owner relations department who likely at best has half a clue what a w123 is or was. The 1989 may just be a typo or brainfart... or possibly his/her birthyear?

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22