View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Remarkably persistent creak

Hello. This is my first post after much lurking and seeking help for my problem.
So...I have a 2000 E 320 4 Matic wagon with a front, passenger side groan/creak that presents over uneven pavement or when turning sharply at slow speeds. After searching multiple MB sites and poking around the underside of my car I can report the following. The front sway bar bushings (inner & outter) have been replaced. (No sway bar "links" on 4 matic). Both upper control arms, both lower ball joints, both LCA bushings (all of them), and both shocks and shock mounting hardware have been replaced. 4 new Michelins and a four wheel alingment to round out the cash hemorrhaging. Parts used were all either Lemfoerder, OEM or Meyle.

It seems the the noise is confined to the front passenger side. My indy tech has been scratching his head as to the origin and reports he took the sway bar off, test drove it and the noise was gone. Of course he reinstalled it and the creak/graon/squeak persists.

I don't think driving the vehicle without front sway bar is a solution, but if it was cracked or bent, (it's wicked heavy-duty) would this explain my problem? Thanks in advance for any insight.