View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Sing Blue Silver

The W123....where are we with it?

A question has been on my mind lately. Classic Mercedes collectability is without question quite popular. Their are a lot of people out their finding and restoring everything from R113 & R107 SLs to W116 450SEL 6.9s and even more mundane sedans like Fintails. (Take a look at our own classic section!)

Now of course, most cars go through the cycle of being new, being second hand, being second hand hand-me-downs, being beaters, and finally being thrown away. (Conversely there are also the rare single owner low mileage survivors) Generally I think that this cycle tends to be around 15 years. From there another 10 years tend to go by before people start picking up junkyard finds and restoring them.

So i've been left wondering where the W123 is within this mix and if it's longevity has managed to help it avoid the typical pitfalls of car life. 25 years after production has ended they are STILL being bought as reliable daily drivers and I see them on the roads on almost a daily basis. (Few cars from the late 70s and 80s can claim this!)

Now while lots of people here keep them going (Hat's off to all that do!) I really don't see the scale of full restorations on W123s as I do on other Mercedes. Has the models longevity and production numbers simply kept it from being considered collectible? Companies like Mercedes Motoring seem to be countering this idea as their low mileage finds command a premium price that people are willing to pay and even Tommy Hilfiger has thrown a W123 into their ads.

So, the W123, where is it in 2012?

*The cycle*

Brand New

Cross continental runabout and daily driver.
(Way to go Miguel!)

Beater

It's had it!

Revival

"The thing is Bob, its not that I'm lazy...its that I just don't care."