View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Not so amused

I sincerely hope that you have luck with the callbacks, if that is how you want to go.

What I want to warn you about, without prejudging those who inquired, is how it unfortunately works in my neck of the woods all too often when you put an ad up.

As soon as you advertise an older car, particularly in the free ads, guys call and are enthusiastic about wanting to see it. When they arrive, however, they start the headgame on every defect... point being they are warming up to telling you the car is only good for scrap value.

I am only saying this so you don't feel gut-punched if you get one or more of these bozos showing up and telling you the car is worth $250. (Voice of experience.)

That being said, it doesn't hurt to engage in some friendly prescreening chat on the phone with prospective viewers over what they know about these cars, what their intentions are, etc. This can avoid you wasting your time waiting around for people to show up who are half serious, or who go to look at every car under $2100, or with those whose first question when they get there is "What's a diesel?"

Hopefully Kingston is better than the Ottawa-Gatineau area, in this regard, and my advice won't be required. Around here it is truly ugly.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22