View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPaul View Post
John I had a problem with a 124 eating radiators under panic stopping. I took the car to a frame shop owned by a friend. The lower radiator support is at parking block height and easy to knock in by previous, less vigilant owners. They pulled my lower radiator support by 3/4" and I haven't blown a radiator in two years with a plastic fan.
+1. I had the same problem on multiple cars. You can't really measure from fan to radiator to check this, you need to measure the distance between the mounting holes for engine splash shield.

Also: The 9-blade plastic fan is specified in the EPC as the correct replacement for the 124.133/.193 (1987 300D/TD) when the clutch is replaced. There is nothing wrong with this fan if you have the correct part number and have it installed correctly. The original clutch + metal fan was replaced by new clutch 606-200-00-22 and 9-blade plastic fan 606-200-00-23. The lack of notches in the blades is irrelevant. I had this setup on my '87 for years with zero issues. I later changed to the 606 turbo clutch with 11-blade plastic fan (pics here and here).

What part number(s) did you have installed?

9-blade plastic fan 606-200-00-23:

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!