View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

I found a well preserved 87TD in charlotte, for sale at an indy I drive past. they had serviced it for the last 20 years for the owner, and had all records. it was in near mint condition, needing only the upgrades of a vehicle nearing 200K I paid $2500 happily, and have since paid another 800 ish, since I replaced the VP, the fan clutch, the belt tensioner, and the spring/shock on the tensioner. I also had a rear bearing get noisy, and went ahead and swapped the entire rear subframe in, minus the Diff from a 95, gaining the 95's vented rear rotors. so... 3300 so far, and I'm completely thrilled with the vehicle. I've put another 50K on it so far, and I'm ready to pull the front seat bottom and repair it's sagging. I also need to pull the pressure tank, as it's leaking beneath the cap ring. I did have to have the transmission rebuilt, but I know a guy, and it only cost me $318.00 for parts. so 3600 so far.
the car needs ball joints, and general rubber parts replaced soon, so that'll likely set me back another 300 or so.
the 95 has the great M104, dual air bags, and better wood trim on the dash, along with leather steering wheel... but junker gasser 124's are a dime a dozen for parts that all fit the diesel...
and, getting 26+mpg with all the power and handling of the great 124...
if you are not a DIY, taking a diesel to a shop not familiar with diesels can be daunting, but BECOMING a DIY is super easy with the 124 diesels.
I just think Diesel is the way to go, and love the s124. so little to service, and so much fun to own.
my second s124 Diesel I got for $200 and haven't gotten it on the road yet due to title issues (the original owner is deceased, and the correct paper work is difficult to track down across state lines)
my third was free with trade of a 123 wagon that was free to me, and some a/c work on it. and I've done NOTHING to in in the last 6 months but drive it and tweak it's appearance... I love that car!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!