View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 02:39 PM
dweller

Clutch hydraulics questions

1. I can't find anything on the MB cd-rom about R&Ring the clutch hydraulics. Is it not there or am I missing it? If it's not there, is it available elsewhere?

2. I've been having clutch problems: once in every 20 times I depress the clutch pedal to the floor, it doesn't return and I have to stick my toe under it and pull it back up. Can't shift while the pedal is down. I pump the pedal a couple of times, and it's fine again.

3. I changed out the master brake cylinder 2 weeks ago, and that's when I first noticed this problem. I thought I'd just gotten air in the clutch hydraulics. But I just flushed & bled the clutch and I'm still having the same problem. (the fluid that came out of the clutch was really gungy. I used a borrowed pressure bleeder)

4. I'm suspicious something might have happened to the clutch master cylinder or the clutch slave cylinder--would it likely just be coincidence with replacing the brake master cylinder?

5. Is the problem more likely to be the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder? How can you troubleshoot that?

6. Is replacing either one a complicated job? (I'm maybe an "intermediate novice" at wrenching--not too confident about these jobs.)

All thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,