View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Mutts are good dogs, but it depends on what you want it for. If you want a dog that has an imposing look and bark, the German Shepard is great, a Rottweiler fits the bill, and so does a Boxer (American standard or German standard).

Decide first what you want in a dog. Size, temperment, level of care, etc., and go from there. Rule out breeds you don't want, and make sure that breed isn't part of the mutt, if you can.

If you decide that a full blood is what you want, look first at the rescue places. There are rescues for just about any breed you can think of. Be prepared to work with the rescue, gaining it's trust and training it as you go. Our youngest Boxer is a rescue that was almost sent back to where we got him from due to his uncanny ability to chew up everything we owned. It wasn't until I broke my leg in 2009 that he and I really bonded, and his destructive path was ended.

Anyway, decide for certain what you want, then look at a rescue first...you'd be surprised at what you'll find for next to nothing in cost compared to a puppy price in the 4 digit level. My rescue dog cost me the visit to the vet that the rescue had invested in him...$175. And he came with papers spelling out over 8 generations of his family.
When I walked dogs at the shelter, I chose the ones they kept locked up with a padlock. Those were the Pit Bulls, Rotts, etc, etc. Those big dogs don't scare me. They are the biggest babies when you get to know them. My wife has had broken toenails, bruises and bites from our Rott. All because she assumed that she was still a lap dog of 10# and wanted to play. The small dogs make me the most nervous.

Great idea. IIRC there are sites that help you select based on what your situation is. Also, some trainers specialize in dog selection.

No offense to the OP but he sounds pretty new at this game. Yes, he has had dogs before but not personally selecting one for himself. I wouldn't recommend a rescue for him at this point. Depending on what the dog has gone thru, it could be a long road to recovery if at all. Is he up to that challenge? Might be better to start with an easier dog and take it to classes at say Petsmart or something like that and when he is more comfortable with that, a rescue at a later date is more sensible.

Initial cost, maybe. A rescue for a newbie to the dog world could be more that that in terms of later financial cost, handling cost, aggravation, etc, etc.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow