View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-kay View Post
The oil ring ( 3rd one ) is broken. about 1/4 of it is missing. I saw some bit when I pushed the piston out. The cylinder has 2 scratches from top to bottom. So what next. I am a tinker and I do my car for fun in between work. I do not need to have it fix quickly so what would you guys suggest? Hone the cylinder? Any suggestions is welcome.
First of all, don't be too upset about the scratches. They cannot cause a loss in compression when the engine is running. The space is simply too small.

So, your problem with that cylinder is likely to be either the rings or the valves. Since you've got the piston out, might as well replace the compression rings and the oil ring.

The engine has 335K........probably on the original valves. Therefore, your search for a problem on the piston might be misguided. While the head is off, see if you can determine the condition of the valves and the seats on #2. Restoring them might be the solution.

Whatever you do, ignore all the comments regarding the "right way" to do the job. You've got an engine that is getting up there in time and it makes no sense to do it "the right way" unless you've got about $5K laying around burning a hole in your pocket. That's what it will take if you end up chasing a "while you are in there" scenario.

You have to address this engine as cheap as you possibly can........or call it terminal and replace it.