View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300SD81 View Post

The main problem is its rusted out between the 2 pieces, and I can't really get a dremel in between. I'm considering cutting out a chunk of the upper piece, brushing off the rust on the lower piece, and just filling it back in with fiberglass and POR15. How strong is this stuff after it hardens? Can it be used to form the edge where its only 1/16 in thick?
The POR15 really has little strength in itself. But if used with reinforcing, the composite that results will be strong. I have used lightweight glass cloth when making patches and have also used polyester window screening to build up several layers of trunk floor where there was nothing left but rust (That was 20+ yrs ago on my SL and it's still good!)

Is there a way that you could pry the metal apart slightly, or perhaps use a knife to open up some space? Then use something like adhesive aluminum tape to form a raised lip so that you can get the POR to run into the space. POR doesn't mind that there is rust there but using rust converter first might be an idea. Only problem would be if moisture can get to same space from other side. But you will nevertheless be way head.