View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
What do you mean, 'aren't allowed to import?' Are there laws prohibiting the import of diesels? Not to my knowledge.

Seems to me that the main barriers to importation of Japanese small diesel cars are cultural. Americans have little feeling for diesels in cars and the people who love them are typically consigned to ghettos like this one. Manufacturers, instead of pushing the cultural edge, seem resigned to accepting this reality instead of actively working to change it. If I were marketing manager for Honda, Toyota or Mazda, I'd be signing up some hot young female Hollywood stars to promote my diesels.
There are some import issues though in general. Toyota tundra trucks pay a 10k duty I understand. Making them so expensive there are not that many sold in Canada. This to protect the big three pickups has to be the reason. Since the japanese manufactures have to deal with aproval processes as well. Perhaps the agencies quietly have a policy of denying there diesels acess to the north american market.