View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkenvol View Post
Are you being tonge in cheek or do you really believe this?

VW has been selling diesels in the US for 30 years except for a few breaks follow each new tighter emission requirement. While diesels do tend to get better MPG's, with a 20% premium on the cost of diesel vs RUG the fuel costs end up about equal. Check out the new car price of a VW with a TDI vs gasoline engine as there is a several thousand dollar premium paid for the diesel. You have a personal liking for a diesel as you pay a premium to own / operate a new one vs a gasoline powered car. This ends up making diesel cars it a niche market in the US.

With that said, I'd test drive one myself.
The US market treats cars like kitchen blenders, all are thrown out within half a decade at max, couple that with really cheap gasoline prices (compared to the rest of the world) and that the efficient diesel options have very scarce "support" - it gets a back seat.

I dont think there are many general small garages or workshops that can even diagnose a diesel correctly while you can find many of such in many small towns in EU, Asia etc. I sometimes get the "your engine is dead - its making too much noise" then I tell them its a diesel engine, its supposed to rumble at idle.

To top this the customer applies apples to apples and sees that the gas car is cheaper but less efficient and the dealer is bending backwards to get it off the lot.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)