View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Tell your son that MY son has been driving my 92 300D for close to a year now and finally is able to appreciate that it's a REALLY COOL CAR. Lots of kids at school said, when he first started showing up with it, "Whoa, dude, you're driving a BENZ?" Your son will never get any comments if he drives your wife's Civic.
My wife loves her 1995 E300 for this very reason. She used to pull up to work and get worried that someone would think her VW Passat Wagon would make her look like the "weird mom type". Now she's made it a point to tell me that people compliment her car all the time.

I'd say tell your son to get over it. I will totally give a diesel (hopefully a slow one) to my son for his first car. They teach good confident driving habits (you have to be aware of how much power you have to merge) and they require a more relaxed driving style (no zipping in and out).

I really think that most diesels require just a bit more finesse and appreciation to drive and own. Gassers are just disposable cars in my eyes now.

EDIT: my first car was a 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (non-supercharged) and my wife had a 2005 Kia Rio (which I ended up totaling and allowed me to buy my first Benz!)

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]