View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
Who has familiarity with the following mirror adjusting technique:

For drivers side. After properly adjusting the seat for pedal and steering wheel reach, and adjusting the rear-view mirror to where without straining you get a complete and un-obstructed view out of the rear window. To adjust driver side mirror, lean your head over till it just touches the drivers side window ( window in the up position, obviously ). Then adjust the mirror till you can just view the door handles in the inner most section of the side view mirror ( your just getting a small portion of the drivers side body panels in your sight as your head rest against the window.
As for the tilt of the mirror up and down, just make sure your getting the door handles somewhere in the center inward portion. Obviously too much sky or roadway is not optimal.
As for the passenger side mirror everything is reversed but you lean to the right until your head is at the mid-point of the cabin and adjust the mirror outward till you just get the door handles into view.
This is how I have my mirrors adjusted. Basically, there shouldn't be any overlap between the field of view of the side mirrors and the center mirror.

For whatever reason, using this set-up when I look left at my driver's mirror, basically any car that is too far forward to be in my side mirror I can see directly next to me through the window. Any car that is too far back for me to directly see through the side window is visible in my side mirror. Same for the R side.

As far as I can tell, I don't have a blind spot. Maybe it has something to do with my seat position, I'm 5'9" and my seat is adjusted pretty far forward, so I have to physically turn my head to look at the side mirrors. I can see how if I was taller and my seating position was further back, I wouldn't have to turn my head as much and so I would lose some field of view out the window when checking the side mirrors.