View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
dieselarchitect

I just looked at the ford tranny, its fw and clutch and compared it all to the mb clutch and fw. I don't have any benz stick trannys lying about. The ford bell housing is attached to the front of the tranny. It is very wide with a 14" fw. the benz fw is 11 7/8" the ford clutch looks to be between 9 and 9.5", the mb clutch is about 8.5". The 240 motot i got with the tranny has the ford clutch and fw adapted to it, using 6 bolts where the benz uses 12 bolts on the fw. The ford fw gives me the willies as it is and drilling six more holes to mount it with 12 bolts looks dicey too. Now I am thinking of using the mb fw and clutch along with the mb starter.

As a comparison, the clutch I got with my Coupe express is 10.75" diameter!

I also got to looking at the ashtray and found a key in it which looked really old. It is an advertising trinket from the B J Borgen International dealer in Badger Minnesota. I suppose the studie may have come from that dealer at some point.

I like the idea of the taller fourth gear and a bigger clutch but the slightly fishy flywheel and the mass of the truck tranny give me pause under the cab of the coupe express. The studie tranny in it is pretty compact I think. First gear in the ford trannny is pretty identical to the first gear in the mb five speed I have in the 300TD.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.