View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
Most Americans can't even begin to think in terms of being able to afford buying (or renting for that matter) in Manhattan. Commuting is their best bet.
And I'm glad that people keep thinking that way -- keeps apartment prices down as compared to European or Asian cities. Really, unless you're buying in a prime building or area, it's less of a big deal than you'd think. There are things like HDFC buildings, which receive cheap financing from the city in exchange for having an income cap (can be quite high, like $160k/yr) for new buyers -- if you look, you can pick up a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment for south of $400k, maybe under $300k. Taxes are abated, so you might end up paying anywhere from $300 (very lucky) to $700/mo in common charges. Seems high, but it generally includes heat, hot water, all real estate taxes, building maintenance. Maybe one or both of gas and electricity.

Not a bad deal -- monthly TAXES are often higher in the NJ and Long Island 'burbs, and you end up paying your own heat, water, hot water, and exterior repairs. And yeah, you'll be living in 600 or 800 square feet. But keep in mind that 50 years ago, the average size of a HOUSE was something like 900 sf, and people raised families there successfully. Don't believe all that you read and hear about NYC.

Lastly, commuting from the 'burbs isn't zero-cost either. Monthly train fare can run ~$300/mo, whereas my "commute" is generally walkable or worst-case I take the subway. (~$2.25 per ride or $100/mo).

Last edited by spdrun; 02-03-2013 at 12:08 AM.