View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM
davidlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post
Yes, many 240D owners are cheap, but some of us think many modern cars, like so many other modern consumer products, are JUNK! Designed to be sent to the crusher or landfill after 5 or 10 years.
Yes, most have more power, performance, safety and run cleaner than my 240D (though I've never seen any of my old diesels belching diesel smoke!)
So what if it takes more energy, resources and environmental pollution to manufacture new cars? So what if the new technology becomes impractical to repair after the warranty has gone?
Why should we care anyway when the next generation has even more power, airbags, computers, menus, interactive infotainment touchsceens, multi-zone climate systems, etc...?
Lets all just be good consumer zombies and rush, lemming-like, to our local dealers. They'll be only too happy to finance us with mortgages to run the term of the new-car warranty. So we can enjoy all that technology and power, as we crawl in traffic, on our way to earn the next monthly payment!

Happy Motoring, Mark
You are 100% correct about new JUNK! Even Newer ,dare I say it, MB's, I think they take the cake, my friends laugh at me when we roll by a 96 or newer MB or BMW and I point and say "JUNK!" w123's build quality was no doubt at their Zenith. thats why I have owned about 5 of them, 3 of them being 300's, Im 33 so maybe its the little bit of youth in me still talking but I hated the lack of power in the 240 enough to where after the first 2, (first one being an auto, I gave a second chance to a 4 spd) then I never bought an other one.
I dont hate them, They are wonderful cars, But they are just too slow for my taste, maybe in another 30 years, Ill be ready for an other one.

07 E350 sport Wife's Daily
01 E320 sport My Daily
00 C230 Kompressor Our back up (new Arrival)

87 300D Turbo my Daily for 8 yrs. Selling to neighbor

82 GMC Jimmy (K5) 6.2 Diesel (my Wheeler)
73 Roadrunner 340ci My very first car, still own it