Thread: B52...
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Pooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palangi View Post
We used to see these operations around here years ago when Carswell was a SAC base. On a calm day, it would take several hours for the smoke schmutz to clear. I lived about 25 miles west of the base at the time. It sounded like a low level thunder that lasted for 20 minutes or so.
I knew kids who went to school in Lake Worth. The school building at that time was right under the flight path to Carswell AFB.

The aircraft would come right over the top of the building. You could read what was written on the sides.

A new elementary school was built about 20 years ago, but all they did was move it to just out of the way. A new high school was built, but it was built about two miles away.

To see this set-up just Google Fort Worth and look at the air base on the south side of Lake Worth. Then go due north of the runway and look for the school building.

I am sure it is still very loud to the kids there, but at least they don't have to worry about one of those things dropping in on them like they once did.