Thread: B52...
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
L' Résistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
I knew kids who went to school in Lake Worth. The school building at that time was right under the flight path to Carswell AFB.

The aircraft would come right over the top of the building. You could read what was written on the sides.

A new elementary school was built about 20 years ago, but all they did was move it to just out of the way. A new high school was built, but it was built about two miles away.

To see this set-up just Google Fort Worth and look at the air base on the south side of Lake Worth. Then go due north of the runway and look for the school building.

I am sure it is still very loud to the kids there, but at least they don't have to worry about one of those things dropping in on them like they once did.
Yeppers, I used to fill up at a gas station there at the Navajo Trail exit. Sometime B-52's on final would come almost right over the station. They are almost as loud landing as they are taking off.

There hasn't been any B-52 action for years. Just an occasional new F-16 delivery or some FA-18's playing around. C-130's shooting landings, etc.

Carswell always struck me as not really a good place for B-52's as it is not really very big, and is sort of down in a hole, not to mention being in the middle of town.

2004 C240 Wagon 203.261 Baby Benz
2008 ML320 CDI Highway Cruiser
2006 Toyota Prius, Saving the Planet @ 48 mpg
2000 F-150, Destroying the Planet @ 20 mpg

TRUMP .......... WHITEHOUSE
HILLARY .........JAILHOUSE
BERNIE .......... NUTHOUSE
0BAMA .......... OUTHOUSE