View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Truth in accumulated miles.

I have been over time trying to examine the claimed odometer readings by vendors on ebay of the post 617 diesel cars. Since the odometers went digital I had hoped there would be less odometer tampering.

Instead I suspect far too many of the examples have about a hundred more thousand miles on them than indicated and claimed. The sellers even have the balls to claim things like it was their fathers car since new and the milage indicated is correct.

Then you read the semi useful at best carfax and the milage claims do not even match up. The claimed milage is accurate to some extent but is usually what the car had perhaps 12 or more years ago. Or the reports are even greater. Most of those car type reports are of little use in evaluating the overall milage. Or should I say totally useless.

Still the paid for reports where I really found a few helpful where generally totally in disagreement with the sellers claims. Far too high a percentage of them to take a chance.

People will really have to do their homework on the somewhat newer diesel cars if they are going for them. I have no reason to suspect off ebay cars are treated much differently. You do not want to land up with a three hunded K car that still looks good having 160k showing on the odometer. To add insult to injury having paid he premium for the 160k car you did not get. It is fraudulent in nature but still all too common in my opinion.