View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
In the late sixties early seventies, you could only buy train tickets with cash as I recall. You could buy bus tickets with coins from a vending machine and maybe train tickets too.

When I traveled in Europe a lot in the early 2000's, paying with credit card was highly desirable for me so I don't remember if they took cash. I didn't use the train much, but I remember a relatively high speed train trip from Brussels to Paris. It was quite pleasant and seemed to get over 100mph or more in certain stretches. That was faster than US trains but I agree with Hat about a really high speed train being necessary in the US.
The high-speed train, the Thalys, you took witch travels from Amsterdam to Paris can only come to it's full potential (300km/h) between Brussels and Paris where it has it's own designated high speed track. Between Brussels and Amsterdam it shares the track with regular trains, something that could be easily avoided in the US. And an interesting fact is that Air France books seats on the Thalys between Paris and Brussels; no Air France flights from Paris to Brussels.

I would love to see a high-speed railroad system in the US and I'm amazed with the space we have here it's such a problem to achieve.

Last edited by Jorn; 02-15-2013 at 08:12 PM.