View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Old Diesel Guy, first MB

Just got off the phone with original owner 3 minutes ago and now I have a 1985 300TD Euro spec wagon, NA, auto , white, blue cloth interior, 215000 miles (not km). 1000.00 cash ......It's a beater with moldy smelling interior, minor rust (door bottoms good, fenders ok). I have a lot of experience with rust out, and I know this will never be the beautiful MB that many desire.
My primary auto interest has been old trucks for the past 40 years, and lately doing diesel conversions on these older rigs. I tear into the MB tonight after work. Owner said that when he brought it into the states they made him put a catylatic converter on it and it instantly became a slug. He said to cut it off and I'll be way more happy with the power. Muffler fell off on the way home anyhow, so I just might bust out the sawzall and go straight-piped for a while. I will have a bunch of questions. Some vac hoses open, some plugged with bolts etc etc. Don't laugh, it's pretty rough, but I never abandon a project and soon, very soon it will look way better. Already starts, runs and shifts like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Diesel Guy, first MB-mb300td-b4-001.jpg  
'85 300 TD wagon. Euro spec. 215,000 miles, real beater (for now). '59 f350 with cummins 6at, 54 gmc flatbed with cummins 6at, '92 f350 service truck with 7.3 NA IDI and 5 spd man tran, Grumman Aluminum stepvan with 6.2 (cabinet hauler) I like diesels.....