View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
i am very aware that is the proper way to check actual fuel mileage but i would NEVER run my car to empty anyway and when i consistently check miles against gallons put in every tank over several thousand miles i know i am getting very, very close to actual mileage

i never said the car was getting 44mpg, i said i got 44mpg hypermiling it for around 100 miles on a specific terrain

i am driving for this and working for it, i am not drivng it totally normal

and i am rock solid that the car is getting 35-36 consistently with the way i drive it and where i drive it
At 65 mph, I would chalk that up to a filling level fluke. I have found that mpg readings are totally subjective, and conditions-based. BTDT, it can go either way dramatically in the false reading, based on DIFFERING FILLS replacement gallonage. Low quantity filling level/conditions were the likely culprit. The lower the quantity, the more variance you're going to mistakenly think that the car is getting in mpg, in both high AND low readings. For example, my car mistakenly reflected a return of 18 mpg on one fuel replacement. Was that reading accurate, or even possible with my car? No way it gets 18 mpg. Same explanation for topside readings in the mid-40s mpg. The '99 E300TD I own, just isn't capable of it - low or high. The only way to learn what the car is actually returning in accurate and objective mpg is going to require higher gallonages, and several readings. What is a "scan guage" anyway? I don't think my '99 has one.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.