View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 AM

hmm, ok i have all receipts somewhere but dont have time to collect them all etc

i think i can remember most of it

3 different shops have worked on it

got the car, think it had 151,000
has 169,900 today
this was to be my back up car and i only planned to drive it 10,000-12,000 miles a year but this year it has gotten quite a bit more

needed control arm bushings and i did the ball joints too- think this was $500?? about that
all mercedes parts
this is something i dont think i will have to do again for ??? 60,000 miles? from what i have read this tends to be done more often on these cars

did sachs shocks 300 parts and i think 100 labor??
both of those repairs were when i first got it and no one thought i needed shocks, i just was not totally happy with how it rode and replaced them- definite improvement in cornering but not a lot in the ride
everyone felt the ones i replaced were original so if i get another 100,000 miles out these i would be more than happy

1 brake caliper and rear brakes pads
1 transmission line was leaking
a power steering hose was leaking
battery
the bill for all this 500-525
these were all mercedes parts

door actuator 50-65 parts and labor?? maybe less

water pump, i cannot remember price on this, pelican shows mercedes pump to be 250 and i dont think i paid that so i must have gotten a different brand there
i know it took him about 30 minutes to swap it so labor was not much
i am thinking 200-300 total on this and leaning toward the lower number

problem is a lot of this stuff got done together, usually 2-3 things at a time

4 months later the gasket for some water component next to water pump went and we had to do that, it sucked and should have been done with the pump, we did that gasket and thermostat and new housing since it had the old housing
parts were not much, labor was more this was 300 but that seems too high so i think we did something else i just cannot remember

i changed out the air filter housing because it was warped, no one was worried about it but me
i think this cost 150.000

i now need a lower intercooler hose , fan clutch and the tensioner shock and spring , wheel bearings and grease, probably 450-475 in parts depending on brands and he told me 1.5 hours on the wheel bearings and i am guessing the other stuff wont take more than an hour??? not sure
since this wont get done until next week i dont know price yet
here is another thing, wheel bearings went 170,000 most likely and if they go another 100,000 i am happy
so much of this is stuff that should not need doing again for some time

i changed all fluids and filters including oil change 300-350???

i dont remember anything else???? but there could be

Ahh, rebuilt bottom of drivers seat 200-250??

i have a feeling the maf will need replacing this summer, pulled that code last summer i cleaned it and ran fine till now but since it is hitting 90-100 degrees here i have had 2 slight hiccups where the car misses about half a second then is fine
i think it will be the maf, may clean it one more time and see if that works but probably will replace it, i read somewhere that you can use a newer maf and it works better
i dont know if this affects it but i am in dusty areas a lot

I think the sunroof needs some work, it is functioning but acts weird about once a month, probably be 200-300 and yes it had that new plastic piece already when i bought it

most of this stuff i listed --except fluid changes and maybe brake pads-- i believe will not need doing again for 75,000-100,000 miles, this is my hope

i have not needed tires yet but will in the next few months, 2 are new but are not michelin so i will get 4 new michelin then

i am hoping to drive this car to 500,000 miles

excepting the control arm bushings which took a few hours at a different shop my down time has been nothing
my mechanic rocks , he knows what he is doing and the fastest way to repair it and the car has only been in the shop for more than 1and a half hours 1 time when we got into something and could not get a part and had to wait until the next day

i have a client near him, i work there in the morn and get him the car by 1pm and go to lunch with a friend and the car is always done when we are back in 1-2 hours
a few times i have been out in 30-45 min
so down time on this car has been nothing, that is one of the things that has impressed me so much on this car is how easy it is work on

i do have 4 cars and so when this needs something that worries me, like a water pump, i park it until the part comes in and just drive one of the others
this makes my down time different than other people i am sure

i do NOT expect to pay this much in repairs every year and i do not think i will

again i am picky and if i even think it is a little worn or maybe needs doing it gets done as soon as i can get the part
so this is just me going through a car that is new to me and getting it lined out

every single thing on my car works and works correctly

it has never broken down
this car is paid for

i have a 2008 toyota prius- financed - that i bought 3 years ago 1 owner with 13,000 miles on it, i put the toyo warranty on it to 125,000 miles for about $1200.00
it now has 107, 000 miles and has been in the dealer for warranty service 3-4 times
a couple of recalls
and i would say about 1700-2000 in warranty repairs- at the dealer
gear selecter, small battery, inverter pump, water pump and a couple of other things
the prius gets awesome mileage, they have very good reliability ratings etc but it has needed some work too and has had to be towed twice
it just had 500 in fluid changes also

prius is 4 years old and 107,000 miles vs the mercedes is 14 years old and now almost 170,000 miles

they all cost, lol, that is my theory

hope these numbers help someone else

Last edited by courtney; 04-01-2013 at 03:27 AM.