View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Regitsered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975300D View Post
The question is, do I spend the money knowing I am going to sell the car?
The question applies to so many different problems facing these older, less-valuable (to some) and non-concourse type cars... Without answering your question in particular, I find that;

If you seek out the right buyer, then no need to spend the money. That buyer will give it the $$$, the love and the care that it needs to remain proper and cherished. (I look for cars like that and put in a few $ and a lot of elbow grease, but end up with something nice)

If the wrong buyer comes along*, this plus a bunch of other small yet expensive problems will start its junkyard spiral cycle...a series of buyers, each just thinking about offloading it to the next.

If you spend the money and do it, you'll at least have the pride of ownership while it is under your stewardship.

Ultimately, each "spend/save & perform/defer" choice we make with these cars either keeps them on on the road longer in some way, or heads them down the path of scrapping.

*That's one of the realities of older cars, I guess. The old recurring question of "I bought it for $2,500 and it needs an $800 whatsit or a $1000 whatnot... Why should I care enough to spend it?"

I guess I am doomed for I don't see it being about the money, the return or the potential future sale.

Good luck! Hope the seats get done at the end of the day, by you or the next keeper of the car.