View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 PM

Thumbs up some first impressions

Hello all,

With my eye in good health, I finally found time to crawl under the 300d and finish most of the job. I now have gauges for EGT, boost, and exhaust manifold pressure. I am starting to get a feel for how well the whole package works, but I do not have a working speedo at this time... I managed to mung the nylon drive gear in the transmission tail housing while assembling the car. So I can't yet present good data on rpm/speed/elapsed time. I also want to fill the tank and do some mileage tests.

My gauges tell me that I am getting up to 17 psi of boost at about 3000 rpm under less than full throttle. Full throttle is making just a little too much heat (1350+F egt) for my taste. So future governor tweaks are in the offing (& maybe water/methanol injection someday)

I adjusted the bowden cable to allow the car to build some rpms & boost between shifts which works better with the 2.65 axle. Ease into the throttle, and the car really wails with a good blast of acceleration from 2500 to 4500 rpm with hardly any smoke. The used tranny that I installed seems healthy, but full throttle shifts are not very firm - so I am hesitant to do them.

The exhaust drive pressure gauge is making it clear that my turbo mods are making boost very efficiently, with a drive pressure to boost ratio that is a little under 1:1 - and that's with a boost leak!

I am hearing a sizable boost leak somewhere. The hissing sound that comes with boost >5psi is pretty loud - not like intake hiss. Once I find and fix that leak, get the speedo drive fixed, and bump the trans modulator pressure a bit I will post some videos and data. Should be fun!