View Single Post
Old 12-29-2002, 06:20 AM

Motoring in a Benz

I've caught some good natured flak from coworkers as well as family. I work for the local school system and have heard "pimpmobile" and "we know who makes all the money now" (the principal had been wondering who owned it til he saw me pull up one morning). My wife told me that the only reason I bought my '91 300SE was for the "status symbol". Many, thinking it is a new car, are rather shocked to find out that the Benz is in fact 12 years old (and everything works). I could have spent the $5500 I paid for it on some POS and have it last maybe 2 years, but with the Benz, worth about $12-13,000, I couldn't go wrong.

I did some research on MB before buying it and IF having the safest, most reliable, longest running, and comfortable car in the world means having to endure the "status symbol" mentality, I'll gladly do it again when the wife's Focus eventually wears out.
1998 Toyota Rav4 (my sons daily driver when he is in the Continental US, PROUDLY serving in US Navy)