Thread: HGTV Morons
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
whats the difference between a representational flag that looks exactly like a flag and a genuine flag that looks exactly like a flag?

Why should a tablecloth that has a bunch of American flags on it be less offensive than one big American flag table cloth?

My feeling is that the hypocrisy of outrage over this is chest deep when you make distinctions between representational or non representational and what offends you. If you are going to be outraged over the American flag being used as anything other than a flag, then you can't be wearing an American flag shirt, flag baseball cap, flag mudflaps, flag bag, bathing suit, ect ect ect. These are all representational, but I don't see the difference between representational and real, its the same image, its still our flag. The meaning is still the same.

For me, as long as the flag or its representations are not being treated with disrespect, then im not overly bothered by this. Celebrating the 4th of july by having a flag tablecloth? I don't see the disrespect there, I see the same thing as people putting flags on their cars or shirts for the same event.

Personally I settle for hanging my personal US flag that was flown over the US capitol outside my house during 4th of july. (sister got me one!, they fly over the capitol for about one minute with 10k other flags run up by pages, but the meaning is still there)
I hope what I am about to say is communicated clearly. There is an old saying in contract law, "The author of a contract is the CZAR of the contract" meaning he who writes the paper OWNS the paper. Carrying this concept forward to the pledge of allegiance, we learn from the following wiki article the following:

"In 1923, the National Flag Conference called for the words "my Flag" to be changed to "the Flag of the United States", so that new immigrants would not confuse loyalties between their birth countries and the United States. The words "of America" were added a year later. The United States Congress officially recognized the Pledge for the first time, in the following form, on June 22, 1942:"
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The change from the word "my" to the word "the" places an ever so slight but definitive distance between the former statement "my Flag" and "the Flag". Also, notice that the pledge refers to "the Republic" not "my Republic" or "our Republic". Interesting information for those who are able to read between the lines.

Or to put it bluntly, neither you nor I hold copyrights or trade marks to a symbol known as "The Flag of the United States" AKA "The Flag of the United States of America" which means it belongs to "them", not to "you", "me" or "we".

Last edited by HuskyMan; 06-15-2013 at 03:21 PM.