View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpia

Shopping for electricity

Here in TX the power companies are unregulated so there are a lot of them.

One of them is offering weekends free (Sat/Sun) and free nights all week (10p-6a) both at $.139 kw/h. I think I am more interested in the free nights over the free weekends as we both work on the weekends so there would not be any benifit that we can see.

So I am trying to do the math to see if it pays. The other option is to go with a regular rate of 8.5 kWh.

This is what I figured and I wanted to see if my math was right.

I just took my last bill which was from 5/1-5/31. I used 1714 kWh. That boils down to 2.37 kWh per hr. At 16 hrs a day (8 hrs free) that is 37.9 kWh a day or 1137 for the month which at 13.9 kWh would be about $158.

If I go with the lower rate which is 8.5 I am coming up with $145 a month.

So given the variances of power usage from day to day and nights verses days it seems to me like there is not to much of a difference. The lower rate only locks me in to a 1 yr contract. The higher rate locks me into a 2 yr contract.

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.