View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Hang up and drive MORON!

Arrow ML320 Shock replacement installation help needed

Troops,

After receiving a $1700 quote from our local MB dealer to replace the shocks on our 98 ML320, a decision was made to tackle this project myself. All work from the dealer has been first rate but this is just a tad salty and REALLY bad timing with the holidays and all.

Replacement fitment will be arriving this week and any suggestions, recommendations, tips, tricks, etc. would be most appreciated. Luckily, I posses a moderate degree of mechanical aptitude and an ever growing tool collection. A set of HAL QA1 12-way adjustable shocks were installed on my 2001 SVT Lightning in the garage in approx 3 hours.

In looking at the front shocks, they seem to be a simple R&R however the replacement units for the rear don't include the coil springs so they will need to be transferred. This leads to some questions:
[list=1][*]Other than a spring compressor, are there any special tools required to remove the coil from the factory unit?[*]Are the upper shock nuts accessible via the small 'doors' or do the interior panels have to come out?[*]What are the torque specs for the shocks?[*]Any potential issues I should be made aware?[/list=1]

Again, any guidance would be appreciated.

Robert