Thread: '91 300D
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkenvol View Post
What's the life span of a '91 300D? I'm looking at one with 277K. Do these have the same longevity as the pre '86 300D's or is 277K pretty much used up?
I would have to think they're nearly as rugged as most any other model diesel MB car made.

I'm glad to read that I'm in good company in that observation here amongst other MB diesel heads. Esp. the ones with firsthand ownership and knowledge of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkenvol View Post
The tranny scares me more than anything else....
I don't know why (AT) transmissions seem to scare several used car buyers, unless when you're looking over and test-driving the prospective vehicle, something turns up as deficient. Be watchful and vigilant when testing the car.

In over one million miles in (6) MB diesels w/ATs my family has owned and driven over 44 years, not one transmission failiure (or differential for that matter) has occurred - not even the trans. gaskets. However, (4) of them were purchased new, and (2) with less than 100K on them when bought used. FWIW: (2) of them were driven to; 305K, and 400K miles - no transmission issues.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-31-2013 at 12:14 PM.