View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post

By the way, I saw an interesting car on eBay recently that claimed it had a 'dismantle' title (either from Nevada or Arizona - I'm not sure).
Is that the same as a salvage title or does that mean the car can only be scrapped?

Happy Motoring, Mark
I live in Nevada. Arizona may be different. I used to work at a junkyard, and selling any car to a dismantler results in the car being issued a salvage title. In Nevada, a car can't be registered for road use with a salvage title, however a salvage title can be converted to a rebuilt title with completion of a safety inspection by a licensed garage ($25 if you know where to go) and an application for rebuilt title. This is how I picked up my '71 250, which was driven to the junkyard, sold to it, and then bought by me and driven home. "Rebuilding" consisted of me fixing a minor electrical problem with the lights.

I also traded my clean title for my '83 for $2200 in insurance money after it was rearended. The car was repaired and repainted at a cost of 4 grand and some change, and I'm still driving it. After two months, I haven't gotten anything from Nevada DMV. I might start a new thread on that.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.