View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOwl42 View Post
I've been working on fixing up a 77 300D. It's got about 135K miles on it. I got it to the point where it starts fairly easily and the accelerator no longer sticks like it was. Now I'm at the point where it's going to start to cost a bit to replace things. I need new tires, there are multiple rust holes that will need to be dealt with, a seat belt is stuck and won't come out, 2 windows don't open (I'm hoping that's a fuse problem and I already order a new set of fuses), I need to at least test the brakes, and probably a lot more I haven't found yet. I was wondering if you guys thought it was worth it, not just monetarily, but in general, to get this guy up to full working condition. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Well, for me, the rust is a killer.

Years back, I bought a 1959 220S at a very low price because it had had an electrical fire that destroyed the wiring throughout most of the car.

It had belonged to the President of the Chicago Mercedes Club and really looked good. So I rewired the whole thing - redid the wood dashboard, cleaned up the red leather interior and had a nice car for a couple of years.

But it was a Chicago car - and they used a lot of salt in winter there - and I started noticing rust in the doors and rocker panels. So I opened everything up and cleaned out the rust to bare metal. Six months later, it was back - big time - and before long the whole body was rusted to the core and the car unusable.

So, when I see rust ......