View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned

99 E300 battery cavity care/maintenance Qs.......

When checking out the new owner on the workings of the E300 last week, I noticed a good deal of surface rust (staining) in there on the floorboard, which developed when I added water to the previous battery 4 +/- years ago.

The rust is over the car's color, Smoke Silver, so it's purely rust colored debris or topical powder only at this stage. But I want to get vigilant and busy on cleaning it thoroughly this time!

My Q is how to do a complete cleaning of the cavity, and perhaps coating it with something to discourage even the surface rust in the future? I cleaned with baking soda and water last time I changed the battery out years ago. I also bought a new rubber/plastic grommet that plugs the hole to drain, since the original was worn out 4 years ago. The replacement is in good condition still.

My 2nd Q is whether one should ever add water to these batteries? I read somewhere that you should not - hence why it over flowed into the cavity - however it did not drain out the overflow clear plastic tubing to the exterior.

Thanks for any expert insight or been there, done that with this model car!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.