View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

won $100. on a failure to fill with diesel

The shop has one of the Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel box trucks. Decent vehicle with ample torque and a good drivetrain.

The shop also has a driver/general cleaner who leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to intelligence and initiative.

Said driver takes box truck about 35 miles to New Haven to pickup parts. Vehicle needs fuel prior to his return (about 3:00 pm). He stops for fuel and heads out. Makes it about 1/2 mile when the truck is barely running and he pulls into a parking lot and calls the shop owner that the truck died.

I happen to be in the shop at the time and the story is told to me about how the truck died down in New Haven. The shop owner is faced with getting the employee and finding a mechanic to fix the truck.

Now, knowing what I know about the employee and the fact that the problem occurred immediately after fueling, I tell the shop owner to get the truck towed back to the machine shop (a $250. tow). I'm betting that the moron filled it with gas.

He dispatches one of the other employees to get the idiot and the next day arranges to get the truck towed. However said idiot returns to the shop and when pointedly questioned on whether he put gasoline in the vehicle............he vehemently denies it. He explains, in great detail, how the diesel pump has a green handle and he definitely used that handle.

I'm now questioning my decision to have the shop owner tow it back to New Britain..............

But, I know this moron better than he knows himself.

"I'll bet you $100. you put gasoline in that truck".

"You're on".......with no hesitation.

Now, I'm really questioning my decision...............

Truck arrives at about 5:30 pm on that day (day following the incident). I drain the water separator and the facts are irrefutable. We leave the container of gasoline on his workbench for the morning.

Easiest $100. I ever made.

He spent the morning draining the fuel tank (all over the shop floor, of course).............and I replaced filters and blew the lines clear. Got it running late in the day without too much fanfare.