View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM

Talking 123 Driver Quarter panel Replacement

A while back, I went looking for a 240D engine. Making a long story short I found a car located about 200 miles north of where I live, which didn't have any rust and the motor was in pristine condition. The owner ( a girl) was going to junk the car for scrap. I couldn't let her do that.
The car sat for three years without being run. Roy Hunter gave me the advice to get it started, which I did. Once started I needed to replace the primer pump for the PO had used Boidiesel and the hoses kindof rotted and leaked.
Since I'm furloughed due to the gov shutdown, I decided to take advantage of some of the good weather and extra time.
Since I'm new to body work, I utilized the guidance of a friend who is a marine metal and fiberglass fabricator. We examined the patient (quarter panel) and determined that using the trim line to hide the seam would be the best idea. I had already worked on the panel above the trim and pretty much had straightened it to the original shape. A light skim-coat will cover all sins. Cut lines where established on the existing panel and I went to town.

The first pic is the quarter panel with cut lines defined in original condition. NOTE. You need an factory reference point. The decision was to use the factory trim hole above the back tail light as the reference for installing a new 1/2 quarter. The second is the line of the car.
The third is a different problem area which which is the curved existing hanging metal, located in front of the bumper which connects to the trunk pan. I have the solution for this in a later post in the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
123 Driver Quarter panel Replacement-dscn1371a.jpg   123 Driver Quarter panel Replacement-dscn1389a.jpg   123 Driver Quarter panel Replacement-dscn1372a.jpg  

Last edited by steeleygreg; 10-04-2013 at 09:59 PM.