View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Smith was adroit at co-opting religious symbols and words, such as the Urim and Thummim I mentioned. I don't think taking belief in that stuff as the guiding force in your life is a good thing by any means.

Ironically, some of their practice was well founded. Their 'word of wisdom' thing strikes me as sound - meat a couple of times a week only, no coffee, tea, alcohol, or tobacco (the coffee and tea thing a bit much), and also fasting now and then.
As someone in the midst of LDS quite often, you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of LDS who actually know what D&C 89 actually says about the consumption of meat.

...and even fewer those who actually listen to it.
Quote:
I've read that in their early days in Missouri and Illinois they would build up these beautiful towns in short order. Supposedly a lot of the reason they were able to attract multiple wives is that they were so industrious and prosperous. My sister and BiL were in the Tab choir for about 12 years - saw them twice - it was surprisingly moving.

But yeah, I'm happy to be shut of them. Strange attitude in most of the scene. Oh well . . .

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]