View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM

I'm going to take a bit of a different tack to the project than likely most would. This is partly due to the fact that I've got the tools and equipment and have done the project this way several times.

My approach is to pull the engine/transmission first and then drop the subframe. Once the engine is out of the way, supporting the car on a couple of jack stands while dropping the subframe is easy. I also found it very easy to use the engine hoist to support the subframe and then drop it onto a couple of moving dollys to slide out of the way.

Most will suggest supporting the engine with bracing on the fenders and then dropping the subframe, and I agree that this takes less tools and would be considered the default methodology. I just don't like the load on the fenders and the engine is really heavy if it lets go while your underneath wrestling with the subframe.

With the engine out, there are many other benefits like getting the engine really cleaned up and also the engine bay. With the engine out, it's very easy to replace things like the steering coupler that are horrible projects with the engine in.
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica