View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
General Purpose Geek

I have purchased two windshields, a Pilkington (under insurance) and a Safelite (out of my own pocket, which cost 60% as much). The pilkington (which is now or was recently a MB OE Supplier) was perfect; the Safelite has a BIT of distortion, but not much and IMO worth it for a driver, but move your head up and down sitting in both seats and look at something in the distance before you sign off on it.

On using the MB original seals; this may not be the best option. The original seal was butyl heated with a nichrome or resistance wire. The modern, and superior, method involves high tech self-drying/curing urethane. I believe that this is now the only way a professional glass installer will do this. Strength is critical, for two reasons: firstly, obviously, you don't want the glass to pop out in a crash (and the glass is an integral part of the strength of the roof/cowl, believe it or not). Worse, the glass must be in place in order for the airbags to be effective. This is definitely not stuff you can buy at a store, but I acquired some and used it on my hardtop window. It has very explicit surface prep treatment requirements and the stuff has very short expiration dates. When a glass installer installs glass, generally, they write the material used, lot # and expiration date on the work order, for liability reasons.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

Last edited by Strife; 10-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.