View Single Post
Old 01-10-2003, 09:11 PM

Lightbulb

Lance, I had the same problem last summer. After much reading on this site, I found that the easiest way to test the fan clutch is as follows: First, you have to get the engine temp up to 100-105. Stop the car and open the hood and watch the fan as your helper turns the engine off.(Keep your hands away from under the hood!). The fan should stop about as fast as the engine. If it free wheels alot, the fan clutch is bad. Second, with the engine still hot and the engine OFF, try to turn the fan . If the fan turns easily, the fan clutch is bad. I let an independent shop fix it because the space is so tight between the fan and radiator. That fixed the over heating problem. (I could never figure out the aux fan. It seemed to have a mind of its own, so keep your fingers away from it at all times.) By the way, my owner's manual states that it is OK if the temp goes up as long as it does NOT reach the red (over heat) part of the gauge. Please, everyone, I don't want to debate this issue, I'm just saying what the book says!

Last edited by PaulH; 01-10-2003 at 09:17 PM.