View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGrissom View Post
There was discussion of this on a Mopar site I visit, relative to aluminum intake manifolds. Most said that clear engine paint yellows over time. Drats, I used that on my intake but haven't driven that car much. Most recommend a colored "aluminum" powder coat. Many guys there use Leonna (seach posts on A Body Mopar Forum - Home of Vintage Mopars like the Dodge Dart and Plymouth Barracuda). I ran across a photo of a Jeep w/ a M-B diesel that used red powder coat. That valve cover really stands out, probably too much. Maybe blue or yellow would look interesting. If you don't do anything, bare aluminum will corrode to pits and white powder (Al2O3), especially in humid areas. Not only is it ugly, but the last thing you want getting in your engine is aluminum oxide, which is 2nd hardest to diamond. I expect the factory had some coating on the valve covers.
I do not subscribe to the intergranular corrosion (aluminum rust) belief you posted above just fir a humid area--a few coats of cleaner wax is all its needed to protect it. if you are in a costal area either use the zoops aluminum treatment or double up -triple up on the cleaner wax.