View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Blue View Post
Not necessarily. This depends greatly on the quality and power of the multimeter. I doubt if anyone here has one with that kind of power in the home garage. The meter does a voltage to current comparison to arrive at resistance. An engine block is a significant current sink for any meter to overcome. The plug will need to be removed to measure resistance and even then, the only true test is applying power and verifying it glows, while suspended in free air.

With cold weather rolling in to parts of the country, it might be easiest to replace the glow plugs as a set. Of course, if the carbon wasn't reamed from the glow plug hole and replaced then with Bosch glow plugs, they may have lived a short life.
The figures that People most often post when the have good or bad Glow Plugs I think is predominantly with the Cheapie Digital Meters.
I have a better Meter then I normally use but I keep it locked up with the Good Tools and the Cheapie Meter is certainly good enough to tell if you have an open circuit in a Glow Plug.

The other part of that I have not read of anyone having all of their Glow Plugs Fail at one time. That means no matter what Meter you are using you are comparing the readings you get from the Good ones to the possible bad ones.

And, the Ohm Meter does catch a lot of bad GPs.