View Single Post
Old 05-01-2000, 08:28 PM
dean

I checked the transmission fluid yesterday when it was good and warm, and it looked like it was a bit high. However, I checked it again today (when it was warm) and it was at the lower of the two lines on the dipstick. Sometimes when I check it, it has fluid on one edge of the dipstick going way up past the fill line, so it's hard for me to tell what's going on.

Also, it seemed today like my dipstick is bent a little bit. Could this be significantly affecting the reading to give an apparent fluid level that's lower than the actual one? Like, is there enough room in the dipstick pipe for the dipstick to bend such that it doesn't go as far down as it should?

I am still trying to get ahold of the mechanic at the used car dealer where I bought it to see whether they filled it when it was cold or warm.

How long are 300SD transmissions supposed to last? My car has 117k miles on the odometer.

I'm pretty sure they put the oil in the right place, because the oil level is good now, and the transmission fluid on the dipstick looks like normal transmission fluid (except for the bubbles of course).

Thank you for your help.

Dean

[This message has been edited by dean (edited 05-01-2000).]