View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Inna-propriate-da-vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
They do, and they're getting cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler=Better View Post
Cree or philips-lumiled warm whites are the only way to go, they have a CRI of around 90.

CFLs burn out fast (or at least the ballast), plus you still have glass & mercury to worry about. My $13 Cree bulb from the hardware store looks like an incandescent and just nibbles power.
I used to be all CFL until LED hit the scene.
Currently our Home Cheapo has Cree LED lamps for $4.97 Extremely reasonable price, compared to what they had been. Very well made bulb, assembled in the US. Claims 40 watt equivalency, but seems much brighter. Actually consumes around 5 watts.

It is nice to see the prices dropping, and that they are being made (or assembled at least) here in the US. My first couple dozen LED bulbs came straight from China, and they are not nearly of the same build quality, although they were still cheaper by a small margin. All done buying those, except for the outside floods and candelabra lights... those are still stupid expensive here in the states. I do like the reflector floods... 20 watts instead of 150, with every bit as much light.

Still waiting for the picture of the lamp... I'm rearin' to search....

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif