View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 AM
1981 240D The Slowmobile

Incredibly variable paint rates

My car came to me with one non-matching fender, which I think adds character, but apparently makes it look a little too jalopnik to a few other folks.

The past week I have shopped around for a paint job, and have been impressed by how variable the rates for a spray-n-run paintjob is. I'm not talking factory original, showroom quality jobs here, just get it close, and hope no one notices.

The funny thing is that the fly by night cash only places aren't necessarily cheaper than the reputable shops, and the quality of work seems to be independently of the price.

Place #1 - insert recent immigrant's accent - No need for you to come in, I quote on phone - for paint, I do all the time this work. I charge you $450 cash, but could be more if something weird or you need receipt.

Place #2 - Local VW dealership and bodyshop - 5 minute look at car, cost will be $1150 plus tax. Generates quote on computer, smiles and asks if I'll be leaving the car and will I need a loaner.

Place #3 - Classic car restoration shop referred by friend at work - Checks body for straightness, puts car on hoist and evaluates underbody asks if I want other rust spots repaired, asks if I want show condition paint or a close-enough colour match, blend or no blend? Etc. 45 minutes later walk out with written quote of $275, with an itemized list of other work he could do but a 2 week wait before he can fit it in.

Place #4 - Custom car place - mostly works on slammed Hondas and jacked up pickup trucks walks around car looks at fender - I can do this for $800, bring it by tomorrow. Nothing in writing.

So obviously I am leaning toward the shop my friend referred me to. Both because of the professionalism and the thoroughness of the quote. I wonder if he takes a lower price up front counting on the other work he generates in his quote. And you know if the paint job looks good at the end of the day, I wouldn't mind going back for the other stuff. I wonder if he has a wait for the work because he spends 45 minutes on what the other guys take 5-10 minutes to do, or because he really is good and has a lot of business waiting.

We'll soon find out...