View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
So, I take it from your post that all 05/06 CDIs must have the charcoal filters running fulltime?

As the new owner of an 06 CDI, I see no dashboard selector for charcoal filtration of outside air, so, I thought that this model MB didn't have the charcoal filters - unlike my '99 E300, that had the charcoal filtering selector switch on the dashboard assembly.

I did see the HVAC air filter on this 06 CDI, located in the front right engine cavity area, when accessing and changing out my 7-year old auxiliary battery several months ago. I saw NO charcoal filtering in this area of my CDI - strictly the white colored air filter.
I was responding to the OP's mention of the filter in a parts list. I can't confirm for certain that the W211 has a act. carbon filter and based on how they are made now they wouldn't last very long on continuous duty. However, there are actually two ways the filter is used. One is the switch you mentioned and the other is via a sensor in the engine bay which detects noxious fumes such as sulfur dioxide, etc. and passes the air thru the filter automatically. Perhaps, if it has the filter, only that function is used on the W211.

Sorry for any confusion.

Update - I did a little research and the filter is indeed accessed from the engine bay and is available as either paper (dust only) or activated carbon style.

1998 E320 Wagon