View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Mad Scientist

I bought my Yota with a "rebuilt" long block 3.0 V6 sitting in the bed. Receipt from a shop for the rebuilt motor, contacted the shop and asked if they'd honor the warranty before I bought it. They said yup, they do good work, doesn't matter who owns it the motor will do well.

Bought another thousand dollars worth of top of the line Napa Lifetime parts - timing set, water pump, plug wires, etc. While I'm putting on the oil pan, I'm going hmm, I really should yank those main caps, relube them, retorque them, verify the right bearings were installed, etc. The paint pen markings on the caps and the thought of a voided warranty said nope, don't do it.

Finally got her all buttoned up and started. Ran beautifully for about thirty seconds, then tap.................tap..........tap....taptaptaptaptaptaptap.

Called the shop. Out of the 1 year warranty. PISSED, but yeah that's on the receipt I had along with the date.

Autopsy of the motor after I pulled it revealed one of the nuts on the failed main cap was finger loose. Didn't even need a wrench, just unscrewed it by hand. Piston was hitting the head. Lots of rust and junk in the cooling passages, the freeze plugs had another set of freeze plugs under them where the new ones had just been pressed in on top.

Called the shop and told them what I thought of their rebuild, and started planning my diesel swap.