View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopart2 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have done some research and did a few checks on my car, but once again it is getting pretty cold around here, 5 degF for the next few days, and I need to try and get this figured out. Lately, the glow plug light has been working intermitently, now it hasn't worked in the past few days.

I have done the following checks:

1. 0 ohms on every glow plug, from relay to glow plug
2. Voltage at each glow plug wire output on the relay (12.42 V)

When I unplug the glow plug wires from the relay, the light on the dash comes on like normal. When I plug the wires back in, the light does not come on in the dash. I tired this multiple times with the same outcome.

Is it possible that there are 1 or 2 glow plugs which are shorted out?

I am wondering if the relay is an issue or if there are other ground wires which might need to be cleaned? I don't have an electrical schematic at this point in time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Reading this again, I'm left with the impression that you tested only the leads to the glow plugs, and found no resistance. That, if it is the case, is fine, but it sheds no light at all on the condition of the plugs themselves.

The voltage reading at the relay pretty much indicates that it is functioning. A quick test of resistance through the plugs may or may not turn up a problem, but that's really the important step. Check resistance between each glow plug and ground, looking for readings over 1 ohm, zero, or infinite resistance, as evidence of a bad plug.